In 1893, Louis Comfort Tiffany designed the Tiffany Chapel as a showpiece for the Manufacturers and Liberal Arts Building at the World Exhibition. The magnificent chapel was described by Tiffany as “a chapel in which to worship art.” The architecture and décor was a cross between Byzantine and Art Nouveau. Over one million people viewed the chapel, which boosted Tiffany’s international reputation and garnered him an astounding 54 awards.
After the Exhibition, the Tiffany Chapel was bought for $50,000 with the intention of being installed in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Manhattan. However, when a new architect took the project over the style of the chapel did not sync up, so it was sold off and eventually re-acquired by Louis. It’s now on display in Florida at the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art. With a Tiffany accent lamp, shoppers can incorporate some of the chapel’s grandeur into their own homes or offices.
Noted artist, Louis Comfort Tiffany, made his home in Laurel Hollow, Long Island, New York. The manor, appropriately named Laurelton Hall, contained 65 rooms on 600 acres of land. Tiffany designed the home in the Art Nouveau style with a combination of Islamic motifs connected to nature. Notable works by Tiffany were on display in the home, which was also the location of the Tiffany Art Foundation at which artists trained.
The Tiffany Chapel, constructed for the 1893 Columbian Exposition, was also kept on the property in a separate gallery. Unfortunately, when Louis Comfort Tiffany died, Laurelton Hall fell into disrepair and was sold in 1949. It burned down in 1957. Some of the magnificent Tiffany windows and architectural pieces were salvaged and are now housed in the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art.